How does Tap to Pay work?
Zettle allows you to take contactless payments by using digital wallets or tapping your customer’s card on the back of your phone. Simply add products to your shopping basket and then select Tap to Pay as the payment method.
Tap to Pay works on devices with:
- Android 8.0, NFC capabilities and Google Play Services.
- iOS from iPhone XS and above
How to take Tap to Pay payments
- Go to “Tap to Pay” in Settings and tap “Activate”. This step may take a few minutes.
- Add a product to your shopping basket or enter a custom amount.
- Tap “Charge”, select “Tap to Pay” as the payment method and show your customer the amount.
- Instruct the customer to tap their card or payment device (smartphone, Apple Watch, etc.) on the back of your phone to pay.
- Make sure you keep the card in contact with your phone until it has been properly read and you feel your phone vibrate.
- When the payment is approved, you can text or email a receipt to your customer.
The fee for Tap to Pay is the same as your regular fee for card-present transactions.
We currently support Visa, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Maestro and American Express.
Frequently asked questions
Why does the customer have to tap on the back of the phone and not on the front?
This is because the NFC antenna that reads the card is on the back of the phone. It may feel a little strange at first for the customers, but if you explain why, it will be easier to understand.
Can the customer pay with a mobile wallet Apple/Google/Samsung-pay?
It works perfectly for the customer to pay with their mobile wallet. Tap to Pay supports Apple/Google/Samsung pay.
What do I do if the payment requires the customer to enter a PIN code?
Tap to Pay supports entering a PIN code in connection with payments.
The requirement to enter a PIN can take place on two occasions:
- The payment exceeds the limit for contactless payments without a PIN
- The card issuers' random security check.
If the customer pays with a card that supports online PIN, a PIN entry screen will appear on your phone, where the customer can enter their code.
If your customer wants to pay with a card that must be inserted into a reader, you’ll need a Zettle reader, and your customer must enter their PIN when they pay.
If you do not have a Zettle card reader, ask your customer if they have another card or a mobile wallet (Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay) to make the payment. You can also send them a Payment Link so that they can pay from their phone. To do this simply select “Send link” as the payment method when you check out.
Can I still use Samsung Pay/Google Pay when I buy things?
Yes, now you can both make and take payments using your phone.
What do I do if a customer wants to pay with a card that is not approved?
If a customer has an unsupported card, you can ask if they have another card or cash. You can also send a payment link so they can pay from their phone. You do this by selecting "Send link" as the payment method when you go to checkout.